Friday 25 April 2008

Media Blog

To what extent is a non-consumer's life dictated by the Media he doesn't use? For example, I don't watch much TV, if any. This is not some kind of political stance against the ever more ubiquitous nature of visual culture. Nor is it against the twisted idea of the companies telling me what I like. No, I merely find it boring, so I do not consume it. But it still affects me. I don't have things to talk about when the TV is brought into question. That affects me.

I guess what they show must appeal to the masses, in order to keep viewers. But my not viewing doesn't carry enough weight to change it, I don't think.

So if I go somewhere, the media I don't consume affects places I go, I suppose. For example, I can't go to the cinema without there being films literally everywhere. Or in my favourite cafe they sell films and stuff. And the people's fashions are probably influenced somewhere along the line by what they've seen on TV or by famous medium providors. And mine probably too.

I'm a media controlled weakling. I need to get a non-media dictated life.

I must say I do miss Loose Women though. When they had that shiny man from the musicals on it was hilarious. John Barrowman is it? It really confuses me when music lyrics talk about stuff from TV, or from films. Like those David Bowie songs about those BBC police programmes. Or books that I haven't read. Like the Libertines sang a line that I thought said "Wouldn't it be nice to be boring and grey" when they actually said "Wouldn't it be nice to be Dorian Grey", which shows my ignorance.

This was supposed to be about media, not about me not consuming it. Is it still a plural? Or is it an abstract noun now, like love and peace and other things it has injured, if not killed. That was a silly comment.

Wouldn't it be nice to be boring and grey? Just for a day?

1 comment: